May 2020 Yard of the Month
June 2020 Yard of the Month
July 2020 Yard of the Month
August 2020 Yard of the Month
Yard of the Month Guidelines
The purpose of the Somerville, Tennessee Yard of the Month Program is to promote an award for exemplary lawn and yard care. The Program will recognize citizens, living within the city limits of Somerville, TN, who demonstrate exceptional efforts to maintain and improve their property in a manner that contributes to the overall appearance of the community at large.
Yards within the city limits of Somerville, Tennessee will be judged solely on the total exterior appearance of their property and front yard as viewed from the street. The criteria and guidelines will be shown in full on the Town of Somerville website: www.Somervilletn.org. They will also be available at the following locations:
- Fayette County Library, 216 W. Market Street, Somerville
- UT Extension Office, 302 B Midland, Somerville
- Town of Somerville, 13085 N. Main Street, Somerville
The Yard of the Month sign indicating this award will remain in the yard for one month. The winner’s name and a picture of the yard will be placed on the City of Somerville website and in the local newspaper, the Fayette Falcon.
1. The program will be managed by a Yard of the Month Committee of volunteers representing the City of Somerville, Somerville Garden Club, and Fayette County Master Gardeners Association.
2. All citizens who live within the Somerville city limits are automatically eligible.
3. Award winners are selected based on the judging criteria, factors and guidelines listed on this document.
4. The upkeep of the yard can reflect the effort of the residents themselves or that of a professional landscaper or groundskeeper.
5. An award duration term is approximately a single calendar month and runs until the following month’s winner has been notified. Durations may vary due to judging schedules and holidays.
6. No more than one Yard of the Month recipient will be selected in a single month; Exception: October and December (see October and December Criteria)
7. During the month while an individual’s home is being recognized as Somerville Yard of the Month, they are expected to maintain their yard in the same manner that allowed them to win the title.
8. Winners must be willing to have photos of their yard taken and published in the Fayette Falcon and listed on the City of Somerville’s website. Winners must be contacted prior to releasing information to said newspaper and website.
General Judging Factors
With the exception of October (Halloween/Fall) and December (Christmas), factors include the overall appearance, tidiness and neatness of the front of the property as evidenced by pruned, trimmed and shaped foliage, edged and defined lawns, borders and flowerbeds. Judges will utilize the following factors when selecting Yard of the Month winners:
- Yard Maintenance
- Healthy lawn, neatly mowed and edged
- Pruned and trimmed shrubs and trees
- Healthy, living plants
- Minimum weeds in flowerbeds
- Yard free of debris and clutter
- Design and Landscaping
- Use of color and texture
- Creative, unique curb appeal
- Pleasing appearance making the property an asset to the community
October and December Criteria
Holiday Yard of the Month candidates for October (Halloween/Fall decorations) and December (Christmas decorations) will be judged solely on the total exterior appearance of their property and front yard as viewed from the street. There will be one overall winner and two honorable mentions for each of these two events.
October and Christmas Judging Factors
Factors for October and December include the overall appearance of the decoration on the front of the property. Judges will utilize the following factors when selecting Holiday yard of the Month candidates:
1. Use of color and texture
2. Creative, unique curb appeal
3. Pleasing appearance making the property an asset to the community.
b. Holiday Spirit
- Use of materials: lights, sounds, inflatables, figures, etc.
- Creative use of holiday imagery and symbols
- Unique, inventive and thoughtful layout
Award winners will be selected as close to the beginning of each month as possible. The winner will confirm their willingness to participate upon being contacted. If the first participant/selection declines to participate, the Somerville Yard of the Month committee will then choose another property.
All award winners receive an official “Yard of the Month” lawn sign to be placed on their property for the duration of their award as well as a $50 check for the following months: June, July, August, September & October. For the month of December, there will be 3 awards: an award of $50 for Holiday Yard of the Month and an award of $25 for each of two Honorable Mention awards.
The Somerville Yard of the Month Committee Chair (a representative of the Town of Somerville) will serve as judge, along with two representatives of the Somerville Garden Club and two representatives of the Fayette County-UT Extension Master Gardeners Association. The representatives from the Somerville Garden Club and Fayette County Master Gardeners Association will change monthly. Judging will occur on the following dates:
Date Judged Month Displaying Yard of Month Sign
Mid May June
Mid June July
Mid July August
Mid August September
Mid October November (Halloween/Fall)
December 6 December (Christmas, after sunset)
Judges will utilize the Criteria, Factors and Guidelines within this document to select Yard of the Month winners.
- Upon selection, the winner will be notified and the committee will take three to five photographs of the yard suitable for said website.
- A short narrative describing the yard and what makes it deserving of the Yard of the Month award will be kept on file in the City of Somerville’s office building.
The Town of Somerville is dedicated to improving the quality of living and appearance of our community. We encourage residents to take pride in their homes and neighborhood. In turn, we look to celebrate those who do a superior job in maintaining their yards in such a way that they enhance the overall curb appeal of the entire community.